Scream alert led police to Wrexham cocaine dealer


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A DEALER said to be a man to go to for class A and class B drugs in Wrexham has been jailed for two years.

David Loose came to the conclusion he was “not very good” in drink and turned to drugs instead, a court heard.

But when Loose, of Davies Court, Wrexham, built up a £100 a day cocaine habit, he started selling the drug to help pay for it.

At Mold Crown Court Loose, 25, was jailed for two years after he admitted possessing cocaine and cannabis with intent to supply.

Judge Niclas Parry told Loose: “All the clues were there – you were bang at it.

“People in Wrexham knew where to come for class A and class B drugs.”

The court heard how it all came to light in a very unusual way.

One night last November a member of the public reported to police that screaming was coming from his home.

Officers went in and found Loose asleep, and prosecutor Emmalyne Downing told the court that the origin of the scream was not known.

It was not even established that it had come from his address.

But officers at the house found two cannabis plants growing in the front room.

They then found £580 worth of cannabis and cocaine valued at about £300.

But the real evidence was found when police analysed his mobile phones.

There were “a significant number of text messages” indicative of drug dealing.

There were references to the sale of “beak” – a slang word for cocaine.

Indeed in one, Loose was advertising that he had 30g of beak for sale.

There were references to “cheese” and “green” - both slang terms for cannabis - and people wanting to buy it “on tick”.

More than £700 in cash was seized.

Alun Williams, defending, said that Loose’s previous convictions were all alcohol related.

His client had come to the conclusion that he was not very good in drink and therefore he had decided to take cocaine instead.

He was “an user-dealer” who started selling in order to support his £100 a day habit.

Loose admitted a cultivation charge on the basis that he had simply tried to grow his own cannabis.

He had not sold any cannabis that he had grown.

Loose was a labourer who enjoyed working on barn conversions until the company he worked for went into receivership.

He had since done warehouse and factory work but had been unemployed since 2009.

His mother suffered from ill-health and he visited regularly in order to help care for her.

Mr Williams said that his client was full of remorse.

“He accepts that he has been very foolish,” Mr Williams added.

Judge Parry added: “They harm young people and the public is concerned about it.
“When dealers are caught they have to go to prison to send out a public message.”

But Loose had pleaded guilty immediately, he had no wasted anyone’s time, he had no drugs convictions and he had been out of trouble since 2003.

A financial hearing under The Proceeds of Crime Act, if necessary, will be held in September.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read