Motorists detained aggressive driver who was over limit


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

MOTORISTS were so concerned by the aggressive driving of a blue VW Golf that when it crashed near Chirk they detained the driver until the police arrived.

It turned out the driver, who was almost three times over the drink drive limit, had driven all the way from Ellesmere Port.

Alphonse Nshimyumuremyi, a Rwandan national who still suffers flashbacks to the terrible scenes he witnessed during the genocide which afflicted his country during 1994 , had fallen out with his cousin over the storage of furniture.

He left the house in a rage and took his cousin’s car after he had been drinking whisky, Mold Crown Court was told.

The 35-year-old, now living in a flat in Liverpool, admitted aggravated vehicle taking, driving while over the drink-drive limit, and driving without insurance or a driving licence and was jailed for 12 months and banned from driving for three years.

Judge Niclas Parry, who said Nshimyumuremyi had driven aggressively at high speed for a significant distance, ordered him to take an extended driving test.

“This is the seventh time in 10 years you have appeared before the court for serious motoring matters,” the Judge told him.

“On this occasion you were driving a stolen vehicle while almost three times the drink drive limit.”

The car was swerving and out of control and Nshimyumuremyi caused £3,700 worth of damage when the inevitable crash  occurred at Halton roundabout, near Chirk.

“To their credit, two members of the public alarmed by your driving detained you pending the arrival of the police.

“You showed a total disregard for the safety of others all for the selfish pleasure of driving. You confirmed that you were going nowhere.”

Simon Mintz, prosecuting, said the incident occurred on Sunday, February 2, at about 3.30am.

Nshimyumuremyi flashed his lights at a driver ahead and then overtook at about 80mph on the Wrexham bypass.

The other motorist was so concerned he dialled 999 and tried to get the registration number.

But Nshimyumuremyi’s car reached 90 mph and the other driver still couldn’t catch up with him.

Nshimyumuremyi then tailgated a taxi driver, flashed his lights and sounded his horn at him so the taxi pulled over to let him pass.

Nshimyumuremyi eventually lost control of the car  and crashed and when he got out he was aggressive and waving his hands about.

A breath test showed that Nshimyumuremyi had 99 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath compared to the legal limit of 35mgs.

The two drivers detained him and at one stage he was locked in his car although he climbed out of a rear passenger door and was aggressive.

Stephen Edwards, defending, said his client fled the Rwandan genocide with the assistance of the Red Cross but had become separated from his family, who were settled in America.

Nshimyumuremyi had been granted asylum because of the danger to him if he returned to Rwanad. At the time he was homeless, had visited a cousin in Ellesmere Port but they fell out over  the storage of furniture.

He stormed out of the house and had driven a significant distance when he crashed near Chirk.

Mr Edwards stressed no one had been hurt and no other vehicles were involved in the accident.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read