Former scoutmaster jailed for sexual offences against young boys


Staff reporter (Leader Live)

A FORMER scout master who admitted a total of 26 sexual offences against young boys has been jailed for 12 years.

Martyn Tucker, 68, had conducted ‘a deliberate, calculated, sophisticated grooming process’ a judge said.
Tucker knew his day of judgement would come, particularly when the Jimmy Savile scandal came out.
Police finally knocked on his door last summer after one victim – who said Tucker stole his soul – had the courage to come forward after he realised those prosecuted for sex offences in Wrexham children’s homes went back further than the offences committed on him when he was a boy.
Tucker, of Sealand Road, Chester, said that he wanted to come clean.
It emerged in court the scout movement was told of the abuse allegations in the 1970s and while it took statements from a number of boys, the police were never informed.
Officers investigating the matter last year were able to recover those statements from the scout movement headquarters.
The court heard how Tucker abused scouts when he was assistant scoutmaster of the Whitchurch troop in Shropshire. He also abused others while the manager of Foster’s menswear in the town, taking boys to the shop’s changing rooms.
Tucker also took victims to Bristol where he instructed them to indulge in sex acts with another unknown man.
While on a canoe weekend in Llangollen he was joined by an unknown primary school teacher who also indulged in sex acts with the scouts.
He would visit a farm at Pontybodkin in Flintshire, owned by a member of his family at the time, for outdoor activities. But Tucker and the teacher abused scouts there.
Tucker, who worked for the former Alyn and Deeside and Delyn Councils before working as a legal executive dealing in social welfare issues for various Chester solicitors, admitted a total of 26 sexual offences. The charges originally included male rape but prosecuting barrister John Philpotts told the court male rape was not known to the criminal law at the time the offences were committed.
He admitted 12 charges of indecent assault on young boys, nine charges of indecency with a child and five charges of another illegal sexual act. The offences date from 1968 to 1978 on five victims, all young teenagers.
Judge Niclas Parry jailed him for 12 years, ordered him to register as a sex offender for life, and banned him from ever working with children again. He told him the offences involved a grave betrayal of the trust placed in him.
Tucker, he said, got himself into a position where he could exercise control and power over his victims.
There had been “a deliberate, calculated, sophisticated grooming process” to “fulfil your thirst for excitement and thrill seeking” at the expense of his victims.
Victims were taken on outdoor expeditions involving overnight stays which parents quite innocently and trustingly agreed to because of who he was.
“You created safe locations to offend against them, you exploited your power for your own sexual gratification and showed a total disregard for their physical and psychological well being,” he said.
“You arranged to be alone with them out of reach of those who could ensure their safety.”
Some of the boys had been in extreme pain. Tucker was said to be domineering and Mr Parry said the incidents in which other adults had been involved were ‘extremely grave’.
Some victims had since been unable to trust fellow human beings and one victim had told how Tucker’s acts had set him on a path of self-hatred and self-destruction.
Mr Parry said the offences took place between 36 and 46 years ago and only came to light last year as a sea-change in attitude towards historical sexual offences had taken place. He said: “These matters only came to light because of publicity arising from other high profile cases.”
Tucker had caused severe psychological harm to at least one victim, there had been a significant degree of planning, it occurred on a regular basis, it was a great breach of trust and there had been multiple victims. Tucker had also shown some of his victims pornographic material.
But it was accepted he had not committed any offences for 36 years, had led an industrious life, supported his family including a severely disabled step-son and had raised thousands of pounds for charity.
Stephen Edwards, defending, said: “He knew one day judgement day would come. Judgement day has come today.”
He made immediate admissions to the police who arrested him and told them he had been waiting for it to happen. In his interview, Tucker said: “I have been waiting for this, particularly since the Jimmy Savile stuff came out. I hoped it would never happen but I knew one day it would. I deeply regret what I did then. I have lived with it. I ruined my life and I ruined others.”
Mr Edwards said his immediate guilty pleas were a genuine indication of his true remorse. He said: “He is genuinely contrite and sorry for his appalling behaviour and the effect it has had on their lives.”
One victim, who read his own victim impact statement to the court, nodded as his abuser was led away to start his jail sentence.
He told the court the offences on him occurred when he was 12 or 13 and added: “They destroyed my life. At the time, I had never put a foot wrong. In my future I never seemed to put a foot right.
“This man stole my soul and set me on a path of self-hatred and self-destruction for many years.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read