AN AREA around a new Wrexham youth club has become like a “honey pot” in attracting hordes of youths playing football in the street and generally annoying nearby householders.
Up to 30 youths are congregating in the street playing football and hitting the ball against the walls of residents’ homes.
Community leaders are concerned that, despite a police assurance the problem would be halted, it has grown worse.
They have have now called for a top level meeting with police and Wrexham Youth Service officials in a bid to stamp out the trouble once and for all.
The hotspot is on Brynycabanau Road/Norman Road close to the redeveloped Hightown area. Originally it was the shops which was hit by the problem but now it is the youth club area which is the centre of attraction.
Cllr Kevin Hughes said the youth club area had become like a “honey pot” for the youngsters and it must not become permanent.
“We have got to nip it in the bud. If additional money can be found, it must be spent on extra youth staff,” he told Offa Community Council.
Chairman, Cllr John Williams said: “I just don’t know where all the youths are coming from. I just do not recognise a lot of them as locals.The worst night is a Thursday when the club is held but the youths are gathering there almost every night.”
County councillor Graham Rogers said: “Enough is enough. This has got to be stopped the residents can not put you with it.”
Cllr Linda Subacchi said she would like to see more engagement between youth service staff and the youngsters. “They must ask the youths what they want,” she said.
Police Community Support Officers at the council meeting said they do talk to the youngsters and have issued yellow cards to some of the youths who claim they play in the street because the gates to the field are locked.
Cllrs Williams and Rogers said the trouble was going on before the gates had been locked for health and safety reasons.
County councillor Alun Jenkins said he was concerned about other issues.
“We have spent a lot of money keeping play in good condition and it is a shame to see some equipment had been damaged and had to be taken away, with toddlers unable to use them.”
See full story in the Leader