A DEVASTATED taxi driver says he has become the victim of arsonists for the fourth time in two years.
Ken Wood, 62, of Troedle, Ponciau, was left distraught after the attack on his blue Rover at 4.30am yesterday, which he needed to travel to Birmingham later in the day for his aunt’s funeral.
“This is the fourth time I have been targeted since 2010. I feel terrible about it. I would like to see CCTV cameras put up in the area,” said Mr Wood.
Mr Wood’s car was parked near his home when it was set on fire.
He attempted to put out the fire but the flames were too strong and the vehicle was gutted.
“My wife Pauline saw the fire and woke me up. I went out with an extinguisher and tried to put the fire out.”
Some fencing was also damaged by the fire.
“I am devastated by what has happened. I needed the car to get to my aunt’s funeral,” said Mr Wood.
“Fortunately my daughter Jessica has kindly lent me her car so I can still go.”
Mr Wood said the previous three arson attacks had been on taxis that he drove, but that the latest was on his own car.
“With the taxis, it hit my income by about £300 each time.
“I don’t think it is against me personally. I think these are random incidents. It is always in the same place, the parking is secluded.
“It makes you feel uneasy, but there is nothing I can do about it.”
Trine Nicholls-Smith, assistant clerk of Rhos Community Council, said: “Requests for CCTV coverage would need to be discussed by councillors and we would need a letter to be sent in addressed to the council.”
A spokesman for North Wales Fire Service said a crew from Johnstown were called to the blaze and put it out. The cause was deliberate ignition.
Chief Inspector Alex Goss said: “Investigations are taking place. At this stage it is not believed to be linked to the spate in Caia Park.”
Seven arrests have now been made as part of investigations into a spate of arson attacks in cars in the Caia Park area of Wrexham in recent weeks.
A North Wales police spokesman said: “Four youths were arrested on Friday and another three over the weekend. Six of them have been released on police bail pending further inquiries and one has been released with no further action to be taken.
“The arrests are not being linked to the car arson at The Orchards in the Whitegate/Hightown area of Wrexham on November 13. The investigation into that incident continues and a youth arrested in connection with that inquiry has been released on police bail.”
Anyone with information is asked to call North Wales Police on 101.
See full story in the Leader