Friend accused after man left bleeding in gutter


Staff reporter

A MAN found badly injured lying in a pool of blood in a gutter in a Wrexham street had bruising to the brain.

Timothy Paul Davies had a small clot to the surface of the brain and other injuries, including a fractured cheek bone and a fracture to a bone behind the eye socket.

He woke up in the neurological surgical unit at Walton Hospital in Liverpool the following day and had little memory of what had happened during a night out with a friend, a jury at Mold Crown Court was told yesterday.

That friend, defendant David John Robertson, of First Avenue in Gwersyllt, denies inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Davies during an incident in the early hours of August 29 , 2010.

A jury heard how Robertson, 22, accepted he and his friend had argued and exchanged blows – and said he last saw him walking off in Berse Road, close to the B&Q store.

Prosecutor Karl Scholz said that was where a badly injured Mr Davies was found unconscious by a passing taxi driver who raised the alarm.

Following a CT scan at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, he was transferred to Walton where he woke up the following day.

He had made slow improvement and later told how he had short term memory loss, was sensitive to noise, and had episodes of confusion.

Mr Davies was not called to give evidence in court but Mr Scholz read a statement which he made to the police.

He recalled being with Robertson that night and going to the hospital because Robertson was ill and feared his drink had been spiked.

But he had no recollection of the incident.

Mr Scholz told the jury that CCTV in Wrexham Maelor Hospital showed the two men leaving at 4.23am and he alleged they had been arguing.

A short time later a passing motorist had seen two men grappling in Berse Road.
Ten minutes later a taxi driver found him lying unconscious on the floor.

There was blood on the kerb and a pool of blood in the gutter containing hair.

In a prepared statement to the police, Robertson said they had an argument, and they parted company by the B&Q store.

He claimed Mr Davies had thrown a punch at him, he hit him back, and they each walked off.

Mr Scholz said that blood which had a DNA match to that of Mr Davies had been found on Robertson’s trainer shoe.

A broken piece of headlamp glass found at the scene, which the prosecution say had been there a long time because of the grime on it, had a spot of  Mr Davies’ blood on it.

Forensic collision investigators had examined the scene and concluded his injuries had not been caused by a motor vehicle.

The glass had been there some time, there were no tyre or clothes marks at the scene, and the complainant had no lower limb injuries.

It was alleged by the prosecution that a mark behind the complainant’s ear was consistent with a zig zag type pattern from a trainer shoe.

The trial before Judge Merfyn Hughes, QC, is proceeding.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read