Wrexham assault teenager was ‘off his head’


Staff reporter

A TEENAGER who described himself as ‘off his head’ on MCAT and alcohol has been locked up after he admitted two unprovoked attacks - one which fractured a young man’s jaw in two places.

A judge told Adam Lee Eygenhuysen, 19, of Russell Grove, Wrexham, the time had come for the public to be given a rest from him.

Eygenhuysen admitted two assaults and received 12 months in a young offenders’ institute.

Judge Niclas Parry, sitting at Mold Crown Court in Chester, yesterday told him: “This is nothing other than gratuitous violence – drug-fuelled violence for the fun of it.”

It was a matter of concern that it was wholly unprovoked and the two victims were total strangers.

He had left one with a nasty cut and the other with serious injuries. Three metal plates had to be fitted into his face.

“This kind of mindless, street violence late at night will simply not be tolerated,” he said.

Eygenhuysen, he said, had an appalling record for his age.

Prosecutor Sandra Subacchi said the victims were friends aged 20 and 17 who one night in October had been drinking in the Wrexham area and they ended up in a house party in Cefn Mawr at about midnight.

The party came to an end about 15 minutes later and they and others were asked to leave by the host, a young woman.

As they were leaving they were approached by Eygenhuysen who appeared to be gesturing to people to leave and to go in a specific direction.

One of the complainants asked him who he was and he was punched in the face.

The force of the blow was sufficient to knock him back and he struck his head on the roadway.

He lost consciousness momentarily and his friend, the 17-year-old, ran over to assist him.

Miss Subacchi said: “He was also punched without warning to his face with enough power to knock him to the ground.”

The first victim had a laceration to the head which was glued. He had a cut to the nose which was stitched and a bruised eye. Both were covered in blood.

The youth did not go to hospital then but the following morning he was in considerable discomfort. He then went to hospital where his jaw was found to be swollen and tender. An X-ray showed he had sustained two jaw fractures, one to each side. One fractures extended to a tooth root.

A week later he underwent surgery when three plates had to be inserted to fix the jaw – two to the left and one to the right.

Miss Subacchi said the party host later received a text message from Eygenhuysen to the effect that he had broken someone’s jaw.

In victim impact statements the first victim said he felt lucky the his injury caused when falling back onto the road was not considerably worse.

The second victim told how the jaw fracture meant he would not eat solids for six weeks, he lost weight, he was in considerable pain and he had also lost out financially because he could not go to work.

Arrested, Eygenhuysen denied any assault and said he was was at the party at that time. He said people who had named him must have had a grudge against him.

But in a second interview he admitted being at the party and said he was ‘off his head’ on MCAT and alcohol.

He said he had been asking people to move on. A lad came towards him so he hit him. He then saw someone behind him so hit him as well.

Asked about the injuries he had caused, he told police: “I feel a bit guilty to be honest.”

Mark Davies, defending, said it was one blow on two separate individuals who were both knocked to the floor.

He described it as an unpleasant and unprovoked assault by his client in drink and he accepted the court would take a dim view.

Eygenhuysen had been on a cocktail of drugs and alcohol which had been a problem in his life. It was not premeditated but an incident on the spur of the moment.

Eygenhuysen had been doing unpaid work but then had been unable to do so after an attack upon him when he suffered a fractured eye socket and a broken finger.

He had been taking MCAT, cocaine and mixing them with alcohol but he had tackled the problem himself and was now taking a reduced amount of cannabis. He had gone down from 12 cannabis joints a day to one.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read