HOSPITAL ward closures have been imposed at Wrexham Maelor after an outbreak of the winter vomiting bug norovirus.
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board says it was forced to close the Onnen ward to new admissions and partially close its Prince of Wales ward on Tuesday, with six patients diagnosed with the symptoms.
The closures resulted in 13 empty beds being unavailable.
A spokesman for the Health Board said: “If anybody has suffered from diarrhoea and/or vomiting they should avoid visiting patients in our hospitals for at least 48 hours after their symptoms have ended.
“We encourage all visitors to our wards to use the handrub provided by the entrance doors to disinfect their hands before entering and on leaving the ward, both for their own protection and that of patients.
“Anyone who has suffered from diarrhoea and/or vomiting and is due to come to hospital as a patient should telephone the ward or department before coming to hospital for advice so appropriate arrangements can be made to reduce the risk to other patients.”
An outbreak of norovirus has also led to two partial ward closures at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, along with closures at Ysbyty Gwynedd, Tywyn Hospital and at Colwyn Bay Hospital.
Following the latest outbreaks, Dr Tony Jewell, chief medical officer for Wales, is reminding people with the norovirus bug not to turn up at hospital emergency departments for treatment unless advised to and not to make hospital visits.
Dr Jewell said: “The winter vomiting bug norovirus is highly contagious.
“It is unpleasant for those who get it, but is not generally dangerous and most people will make a full recovery within a couple of days, without having to see a doctor.
“Unless people are particularly concerned about their health, they should avoid going into hospital or visiting a GP as they risk spreading the bug further, possibly to those already ill for whom the norovirus could be more serious.”
See full story in the Leader