A MOTHER of two has spoken out after a second family cat was poisoned with anti-freeze.
Marie Shepherd, of Prince of Wales Avenue, Flint, says she is “absolutely devastated” that 16-month-old tabby Harry had to be put down.
Three years ago the family lost their cat Charlie, also to anti-freeze poisoning.
Marie said: “Charlie had eaten a lot of anti-freeze and died quite quickly. Harry is thought to have eaten a small amount.
“My husband went to the vets and they told him that Harry's condition had worsened.
“They said if we kept him alive he would suffer convulsions and we couldn’t bear to see him like that.
“We were left with no option but to have Harry put down. We are absolutely devastated.”
The matter has now been reported to the RSPCA.
Marie said: “It seems to be happening all the time.
“This is ongoing in the area. There are so many people who have lost their pets.
“These are family pets, not stray cats. People are doing it on purpose.
“Anti-freeze is sweet in taste. Once it is put in something for the cats to eat, the taste is not going to put them off, they are going to carry on eating it.
“We want people to be aware this is going on and this has got to stop.
“There has got to be another way for people to stop cats going in their gardens.”
The family will now have to pay vets bills of more than £150 for the treatment given to Harry.
RSPCA scientific officer Dr Kerry Westwood said: “If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container so the vet can work out the best way to treat your pet.
“The sooner your cat receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.
“Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence.
“Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.”
See full story in the Leader