A TRAVELLER-owned site near Wrexham has been attacked by vandals.
Fences were kicked in at the site on Southsea Road, opposite the junction with High Street.
Owner, Andrew Cash, said: “All I’m doing is trying to do this place up and make it nice.”
It comes after concerns were raised by residents that the green barrier site was being developed prior to getting planning permission.
But Mr Cash said: “If I do put in for planning it will be for permanent people in static homes. I have no intention whatsoever of creating a caravan site.
“It’s not going to be a gipsy site with caravans coming and going.
“If the planning comes through, it’ll just be me and my family – there will be a nice chalet here and it will be very, very well run and kept nice and tidy.”
Mr Cash said there had been a misunderstanding over his plans. He had lived in the area for three years and wanted to settle down and have a decent standard of living.
“All I want to do is live a quiet life and settle down in a place where I’m happy. I want the children to have proper schooling,” he said.
“If I am going to be a neighbour, I want to get along with the people here. I don’t want to be a threat to anyone here.
“There will only be decent people on here, all one family.”
Planning enforcement officers visited the site on August 24 and judged that the amount of hardcore put down needed planning permission.
Mr Cash confirmed there had been a meeting with the council over the amount of hardcore on the site.
He added: “I want to do things right. I’m not moving on here and then applying for permission after. I don’t want to do it that way. If I’ll ever get a chalet here I don’t know, but I want to do it properly and legally.”
A spokesman for North Wales Police said they were called at noon on August 30 to reports of criminal damage to wooden panels of fencing protecting the site, and were looking into the matter.
See full story in the Leader