New Reds bidder could be in frame if fans’ buyout falters

Reporter:

Garth ApThomas

AN ALTERNATIVE deal to buy Wrexham FC could be considered if the bid by the Wrexham Supporters Trust is not finalised by September 16.

Club directors have released a statement saying time is of the essence in the process and there remains another party interested in taking control.

The statement said: “An alternative bidder has approached the club with a view to buying.

“However, the trust have been assured they have first refusal.

“The takeover has been a longer than expected process, although it appears that with all the information being handed over by midday Friday of this week the deal can finally come to conclusion.”

It adds: “The directors would like to think the WST board can complete their takeover by Friday, September 16 to ensure no alternative bid has to be considered.”

The statement stresses the Reds’ directors have not withheld information, intending to slow the process down, and all information needed for the buyout will be available in the next few days.

WST chief executive Richard Green said the trust was delighted it would be receiving details which had been requested some time ago.

He said: “There has been some speculation about other bidders. We acknowledge there maybe other interest. At the moment we are not clear on the criteria of that bid.”

Last month the Leader reported former Wrexham player Alan Bermingham had headed a consortium which made an offer for the club. It had been rejected because terms had already been agreed with the WST.

When asked yesterday if he was the alternative bidder referred to in the club statement, Mr Bermingham said: “I’m not clear if it is me.

“I have already put in a bid that was turned down. I’m not going to jump the gun.
“There is a strong opportunity to get out of the Conference with the players Wrexham have got. The way they have been playing has been superb.

“Whoever does buy the club will need the trust of the fans, manager Dean Saunders and the players.”

County councillor Phil Wynn has moved to quash rumours he is involved in an alternative bid to buy Wrexham, saying they are incorrect.

Part of the WST takeover process is for the Football Association to give the application the green light.

An FA spokesman said yesterday: “We are aware the Wrexham Supporters Trust wishes to buy Wrexham Football Club.

“The WST has been co-operating with the FA. This process is ongoing.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read