Man, 24, died after massive heart attack in Wrexham

Reporter:

Rebecca Cole

A YOUNG man died after suffering a massive heart attack at the age of just 24.

Glyndwr University student Grzegorz Henryk Franck had been to a party the night before with a friend but shortly after waking up the next morning he was rushed to hospital after being found unconscious on the bathroom floor, an inquest heard.

According to close family friend Bozydar Wrona, Mr Franck, of Salop Road, Wrexham, but originally from Poland, travelled to the UK in 2006 to pursue his dream of working in music and enrolled on a musical engineering course.

Mr Wrona said: “This was something he had been dreaming about for years in Poland and in fact I played a part in encouraging him to come here. I know he was in the middle of composing something, so this is truly devastating.

“And, as the closest thing to family he had over here, I will have to explain to his mother what has happened.

“I really cannot believe it.”

In statements to the Wrexham inquest Mr Franck was described as sociable and someone who enjoyed a drink but Bharti Gittins, North East Wales assistant deputy coroner, said: “The amount of alcohol in his blood was at a reasonable level. Drink and drugs played no role in his death.”

The inquest heard Mr Franck fell asleep on his friend’s sofa at about 5am on March 7. He had not been suffering any ill effects as a result of his alcohol consumption.
The following morning he went into his friend’s bedroom at about 8am and seemed to be struggling to breathe.

He fell to the floor and hit his head and was then taken to the bathroom and sat on the side of the bath so he could be sick.

A few moments later he was found to be unresponsive on the floor covered in vomit.

An ambulance was called and Mr Franck was rushed to hospital but could not be resuscitated.

Mrs Gittins ruled Mr Franck had died of natural causes and cited inhalation of vomit into the lungs brought on by a coronary artery aneurysm.

She said: “He probably awoke in severe pain, went into his friend’s room to get help and, as is common in cases of heart attack, he became sick and unfortunately choked on the vomit.

“He must have had a weak heart which is often not detected in routine medical examinations.

“It is a very sad occurrence to see this happen in one so young.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read