Victim speaks out after terrifying gang attack

Reporter:

Andrew Boyd

A MAN viciously assaulted in a late-night gang attack has spoken for the first time about his ordeal.

John Morris, 40, is now back home in Bagillt, as he continues to recover from being set upon by a group of young males shortly before midnight on Monday, August 2.

Mr Morris said he remembers little about the shock attack, which saw him spend a week in hospital and has left him with injuries including facial bruising.

He may require an operation to repair damage to his mouth.

“I had walked to Flint and back and was nearly home when I saw this group of lads on Wern Avenue,” he said.

“I’m told they asked for a cigarette and I didn’t have any.

“I just don’t remember anything after that. I don’t remember much about the people who did it.”

Mr Morris says he has no recollection of being in the ambulance or arriving at Glan Clwyd Hospital, where he awoke the following morning and began feeling shocked at the incident.

“I’m a Bagillt lad, I’ve lived here all my life,” he said.

“I just don’t understand why they did it. You just don’t expect to see something like that happening in Bagillt. I just quietly get on with my life.

“I really hope this doesn’t happen to anybody here ever again.”

Mr Morris, who is one of several generations of his family to have lived in Bagillt, has refused to be deterred by the incident and has walked along his street since returning home on Monday.

But he has yet to do so at night.

In the wake of the attack, Mr Morris has seen villagers rally round to raise funds for him.

Shortly after arriving home he was visited by wellwishers and presented with welcome household items, with more than £300 having so far been raised by pubs and other venues in the village.

“It’s nice that people from the village care so much,” he said.

“I’m surprised how much has been done for me. The people here seem very angry about what happened to me.”

Rob Davies, landlord of the Upper Shippe Inn where more than £100 was raised, visited Mr Morris and presented items to him along with Cllr Norma Jones after a successful fundraising drive.

He said: “So many people have wanted to help him out, which has been very pleasing to see.

“He is a well liked person in the village.

“Everyone is pleased to see John back home and are shocked by what happened to him.”

Four people were arrested by police in connection with the incident, with all released on bail pending further inquiries.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read