A FATHER and son have been killed and a toddler is fighting for her life after a horrific holiday caravan fire.
Grandfather Robert Taylor, 58, and his son, Andrew, 26, of Royal Drive, Flint, died in a blaze which tore through the family’s touring caravan near Barmouth, Gwynedd, just before 2am on Saturday.
Robert’s wife, Denise, 50, who suffered superficial burns to her forearm, and her two-year-old grandaughter of one of the couple’s other children, were pulled from the blaze by two brave holidaymakers before being airlifted to Ysbyty Gwynedd.
The girl has been transferred to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool with severe burns.
It is believed the fire at Sunny Sands Caravan Park at Talybont started accidentally in the awning of the caravan before engulfing it.
A joint investigation by North Wales Police and North Wales Fire and Rescue Service has been launched.
Ian Williams, 31, from Wrexham, was holidaying on the park with his wife and two-year-old daughter.
He had spoken to the family on Friday night and watched as Andrew took to the stage to sing a Kings Of Leon song.
He said: “They were in the club singing and dancing. All four of them were on the stage.
“My wife woke me up at about 2.30am and we thought someone was fighting because of all the shouting.
“I looked out and you would not believe how fast it went up. It was scary to be honest – very scary.”
Mark Needham, 40, from Manchester, said he moved his family away from the site while the fire was burning for fear of gas explosions.
“We moved the car up to the beach because I was worried about the caravan catching fire.”
He added everyone was subdued and in shock after the tragedy.
The coastal caravan park has been owned and operated by the same family for more than 45 years.
Site director Jeremy Mead said staff were working with the police to establish the cause of the fire.
“My brother lives on the park and he heard what he thought was a firework going off at about 1.45am,” he said.
“The next minute there was a mass of smoke and that was it.
“We would like to express our deepest sympathy to the family. It’s upsetting for us because they were regular visitors to the park.
“People have already been calling the park to express their sympathy.”
The site, set in the Snowdonia National Park, is popular with families and holidaymakers.
A fire service spokesman said: “Upon arrival at the property firefighters discovered the caravan and an adjacent car were well alight and used two sets of breathing apparatus, a hose reel jet and a main jet to quickly extinguish the fire.”
See full story in the Leader