A TEENAGER blinded in one eye after yobs threw a water bomb in her face six weeks ago is still fighting to regain her sight.
And she says the disability is preventing her from following her dream of setting up her own business.
The terrifying drive-by attack on 18-year-old Nikita Charles, of Rhosymedre, happened as she was walking with her sister Yasmin, 15, and brother Nathan, 22, through Cefn Mawr just before 2pm on April 18.
Without warning a car drove past them in the direction of Rhosymedre.
Three men were seen in the car – believed to have been a blue or grey R registration Vauxhall Corsa – which had the window wound down. As it drew level with the youngsters one of the men threw two liquid-filled balloons tied together, which hit Nikita with some force in the face. She immediately realised she was unable to see out of her left eye, which was left swollen and red.
Despite on-going treatment at Wrexham Maelor Hospital, the teenager is still unable to see out of her left eye.
Nikita said: “I’ve been back to the eye clinic at the Maelor six or seven times since it happened but they have told me they can’t guarantee getting my sight back.
“The latest thing they are trying is to stimulate my bad eye by putting a patch over the good eye.
“I have to wear that for two hours a day until June 20 and it’s giving me headaches and making me feel sick.
“I’m also getting stabbing pains behind my bad eye.”
She added: “Still not being able to see out of my eye is very worrying.
“My ambition is to open my own business, something like a sandwich bar but also supplying buffets for customers. I have already done a catering course one day a week at Yale College and was planning to go back there full-time in September. But now all that is on hold.
“I was also going to apply for a provisional driving licence which I will need with my own business but I can’t do that either until I get my sight back properly.”
A police spokesman confirmed the matter is still under investigation and that no arrests had been made.