ANOTHER cat has died from poisoning in the same area of Wrexham as the cat reported poisoned earlier this week.
On Tuesday the Leader reported that James Dobbins of Cheshire View, Caia Park, had been told by a vet that a feral cat that his family helped to feed had been poisoned.
The animal was in such an appalling condition – including heavily ulcerated tongue and chemical burns to its digestive system – it had to be put down.
Dominic Brown, of neighbouring Moorland Avenue, has contacted the Leader with a similar story of cruelty, saying his five-month-old kitten Tiggz had died on Saturday as a result of poisoning.
Mr Brown said he and partner Kirsty Evans were deeply upset over the incident, which had seen their pet having to endure great pain.
“We came home to find him staggering around. He was trying to get to the kitchen. I took him to the vet but he died. The vet said Tiggz had been poisoned.”
The couple had adopted Tiggz, together with another kitten Shadow, from the RSPCA.
“Now we are really worried about what might happen to Shadow. He is devastated over losing Tiggz and keeps trying to look for him. They always used to run around together.
“I don’t know who is responsible for this, but there have been a number of incidents of cats being poisoned in this area.”
Mr Dobbins had told the Leader there was a group of feral cats near his home whose numbers had been dwindling and he feared they may be falling victim to deliberate poisoning.
Mr Dobbins said that initially the group had been about 10-strong but were now down to just two or three. His family had taken in some of the kittens to look after them.
A spokesman from the RSPCA said: “The poisoning of a cat can constitute a criminal offence. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 the maximum penalty for anyone found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of £20,000.”
See full story in the Leader