Public snubs chance to hold royal wedding street parties

Reporter:

Phil Robinson

ONLY a handful of people in the region have applied to hold street parties to celebrate next month’s Royal wedding.

Wrexham Council has received eight applications to close roads to enable people to mark Prince William’s marriage to Kate Middleton.

And just one application has been made in Flintshire for the April 29 date.

People are required to make an official application to the local council if their party involves a road closure.

It suggests fewer than one per cent of residents in areas that have a total population of more than 280,000 plan to mark the big day in the traditional style seen for William’s mother Diana’s wedding to Prince Charles in 1981 and the Queen’s Golden Jubilee in 2002.

Staunch royalists have voiced surprise at the lack of interest.

In Wrexham, Caia Park community councillor and UK Independence Party activist John Humberstone said: “I’m a bit surprised by the low number of people applying to hold parties but I think it’s down to apathy rather than people being anti-royalist.

“Whenever the Queen or any other member of the Royal family visits the area there seems to be a decent turnout.

“Maybe the reason is that many people are still reeling from the effects of the Budget.

“Perhaps the council should have taken more of a lead in encouraging people to stage something.

“I know I will be encouraging people in Caia Park to have some sort of event.”

Eleanor Tatler from Flint, who writes to congratulate Princes William and Harry whenever they achieve a milestone in life, said she was shocked by the figures.

She said: “I organised one for Diana and Charles’ wedding in 1981 and there were quite a lot of people doing the same thing at that time.”

In Wrexham, applications so far received includes those for Edward Street, Wrexham, Wenfryn Close, Trevor, part of Pen y Bryn, Pontfadog, Heol y Plas, Cefn Mawr, Heol Maelor/Heol Dyfrdwy, Johnstown, and Acton Road/Spring Road, Rhosddu.

A council spokesman said there were just three weeks left to apply.

A Flintshire Council spokesman said the authority had received eight inquiries regarding road closures and one official application, for Thomas Street, Flint.

He said: “There will be a small charge of £35 for the use of a ‘road closed’ sign which would need to be erected at the head of a closed cul-de-sac.

“Generally there would not be a need for any type of permission for alcohol or entertainment for this type of locally arranged community event but it is always best to check with the council’s licensing section if unsure about what is required. A temporary event notice can be issued if necessary.

“The deadline for road closure applications or any other related permissions is Monday, April 11.”

For advice on holding a street party call the council's streetworks section on 01352 704810.

- What do you think? Have your say by leaving a comment below.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read