‘Bubbly’ mum-of-two dies in Flintshire house blaze

Reporter:

Matt Jones

TRIBUTES have been paid to a ‘bubbly’ mum-of-two who died in a house fire.

Kirsty Weaver, 31, died after a blaze broke out at her home in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Her two-year-old son Brandon was pulled from the house by firefighters.

Fire chiefs confirmed there were no working smoke alarms at the property in Fraser Drive, Buckley, and said the fire was caused by an unattended candle.

Neighbour Colin Smith, 72, heard Miss Weaver’s cries for help and called the emergency services.

He said: “I heard Kirsty shouting ‘save me, save me’.

“I went next door but it was just black. I couldn’t see anything so I phoned the police.

“The policeman felt the window and he said it was hot.

“We phoned the fire service and they burst in.

“They found the baby alive upstairs.”

Miss Weaver’s daughter, Toni, 10, was not in the house at the time of the fire.

Mr Smith said: “Kirsty was a very bubbly and outgoing person.

“She was a very nice person and a really caring mother.

“It is devastating.”

Miss Weaver, a former pupil at Elfed High School, lived at the semi-detached house with her two children and worked at Gerrards bakery.

Neighbour Marie Eagles said: “She was a good mum and a good friend. She idolised her children.

“We cannot get our heads around it.”

Buckley councillor Ron Hampson said the community was in shock.

He added: “This is a tragedy. She was a hard-working young mum.”

Cllr Hampson said a previous fire in Fraser Drive had claimed the lives of a mother and baby.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The alarm was raised by police at 2.50am after they received a call from a neighbour.

“A two-year-old boy was rescued from the building.

“He was transferred to hospital where he received treatment for smoke inhalation
and is now in a stable condition.

“The family pet dog was also rescued from the property by firefighters.

“The fire is believed to have been caused by a candle left unattended near the television in the living room.”

Assistant chief fire officer Colin Hanks said: “This is a tragic incident and our hearts go out to the family.

“I would urge everyone to ensure they fit smoke alarms in their homes – they really can mean the difference between life and death.

“The early warning signal can provide enough time to call for help and to make your way safely out of a property.”

Mr Hanks said firefighters will be in the Buckley area this week offering free home fire safety checks to residents.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read