THE Wrexham Supporters’ Trust has not ruled out considering plans being put forward by Stephen Cleeve to take over the football club.
The trust is preparing to formally enter into a joint bid for Wrexham FC with hotelier Stephanie Booth, but vice-chairman Peter Jones said it could be possible for the organisation to give the London-based businessman a hearing.
Yesterday’s Leader reported Mr Cleeve as saying he would be prepared to meet the trust to see if he could reach an agreement with the group.
Mr Jones said the trust had so far had no contact with Mr Cleeve, but he added: “If he does have a bid in for the club we could listen to what he has to say and take it from there.”
The trust is due to hold a meeting at Wrexham Lager Club on Monday evening.
A notice on its website said: “The WST would like to update members with recent events and discuss members’ requirements for a sole/joint WST bid or minority investment in another consortium.
“This will feed into an upcoming emergency general meeting containing resolutions about what the trust does next.”
Yesterday Mr Cleeve stressed that time for completing a takeover was running short, and added: “The longer the current situation goes on the harder it is going to be to get the club out of financial difficulties.
“A meeting involving myself and the trust would allow them the opportunity to evaluate the proposals I am putting forward.”
Wrexham FC co-owner Geoff Moss said he had received an indication the trust intended to enter into a joint bid with Mrs Booth.
Nigel Davies, a spokesman for Mrs Booth, said ”a great deal of work” was going on behind the scenes to try to ensure a secure future for the club.
See full story in the Leader