A THREE-year-old who was burned by hot wax from a Chinese lantern will be permanently scarred above his eye.
Cael Jones, of Penycae, has also been so traumatised by the incident that he has been having nightmares.
His mother Emma Foulkes says he tried returning to Ysgol Hooson in Rhos but struggled and so will be off until the New Year.
The youngster was badly burned during a family fireworks party when oil from a lantern fell onto his face.
At the time the family thought Cael may not be scarred for life but a doctor has since said that he is likely to be permanently scarred.
His mother said that since the incident Cael has lost some of his confidence.
“He’s more timid and cries because he doesn’t want to go to school,” she said.
“He has to put on cream every time he goes out, it helps soften the skin.
“He also needs to wear a factor 50 cream – he needs it in winter because of the cold air.
“For the next 12 months we will also have to be careful about his exposure to the sun.”
Following the incident Emma called for Chinese lanterns to be banned because of the danger they pose.
She said: “I know they probably won’t be banned but I think they should advertise the warnings on posters.
“It was awful when it happened, it was devastating.
“We had to really make sure the burns didn’t get infected.”
At one point there was concern that Cael’s eyesight could be damaged in one eye but he was later given the all clear.
Following the incident North Wales Fire and Rescue Service issued a safety warning.
Andy Robb, county partnership manager with North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “These lanterns are popular but we are appealing to the public to be aware of the possible fire hazards and therefore the need to be careful when handling them.
“Make sure that no-one is standing underneath when they are set up as there is a possibility that this oil or wax can tip over and cause injury.”
See full story in the Leader