RESIDENTS throughout Wrexham are being urged to have their say on the county council’s plans to save more than £7 million.
Mark Owen, the authority’s chief finance and performance officer, said that because of a reduced settlement from the Welsh Assembly, Wrexham Council is looking to make savings of more than £7 million in its budget.
Mr Owen said the need for cuts to be made had been on the horizon for some time and the authority has been drawing up plans on the best way forward for operating with less money.
Among changes that look set to come into force are deleting vacant staff posts and rationalisation of management.
Mr Owen said Wrexham would be undertaking a consultation exercise in which members of the public were welcome to take part. The executive board is due to consider the budget in mid February which will then go to the full council at the end of February.
Wrexham Council’s deputy leader, Cllr Bob Dutton, pledged the authority would do its utmost to maintain frontline services to the very best standard it could.
Part of the savings initiative which Wrexham is considering involves revising its transport services. It is working with a number of other authorities to develop improved partnerships and to examine the sharing of resources.
The transformation would involve looking at a range of issues including public and community transport, the council’s internal fleet of vehicles, client transport and staff travel.
The issues are due to be discussed at a meeting of the executive board on Tuesday.
If anyone wants to get in contact with the council regarding the budget consultation the e-mail address is email@example.com.
See full story in the Leader