TWO people accused of murdering a Connah’s Quay man have been acquitted.
David Tushingham, 20, from Blacon and one of his co-accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were found not guilty of murdering Christopher Garwell, after it was decided that no further evidence would be submitted in the case.
The jury at Chester Crown Court was directed by judge Mr Justice Nicol to return a verdict of not guilty on both defendants after it was decided, in the case of Tushingham, there was “insufficient evidence” to leave the case in the hands of the jury.
Prosecuting barrister Michael Chambers conceded in the case of the unnamed accused: “We have decided to offer no further evidence.”
The trial, which began two weeks ago, has heard how Mr Garwell, 23, had spent the day with his friend Scott Murphy and the accused before he was allegedly set upon in an attack on the City Walls.
The prosecution had told the court how Mr Garwell was set upon for drugs and money, in a ‘joint attack’ in which he was punched and kicked to the head causing him to fall and hit his head on the walls, it has been alleged.
Unemployed Mr Garwell, who the court heard had been drinking and was said to have taken six ecstasy pill prior to the alleged attack, was discovered collapsed on a stretch of the City Walls, close to the King Charles Tower on June 3.
The court heard how Mr Garwell suffered extensive skull fractures and severe brain haemorraghes.
Two students called for an ambulance after finding Mr Garwell lying unresponsive on the walls close to a pool of vomit just before 7.30pm.
Mr Garwell was taken to the Countess of Chester Hospital and later transferred to Liverpool’s Walton Neurological Centre where he died on June 9.
Kieran Cunnah, 18, of Blacon, and another youth who cannot be named for legal reasons still stand accused of his murder.
The trial continues.
See full story in the Leader