A MAN slid down an ice-covered roof to escape as fire swept through his flat.
Firefighters were called to the first floor property in Market Street, Rhos, after a blaze broke out in the lounge-bedroom. Crews from Wrexham and Johnstown attended the scene at about 3am on Saturday.
Officers used two hose reel jets and four sets of breathing apparatus to bring the fire under control.
The male occupant was alerted by smoke alarms and managed to escape through a window by sliding on to a flat roof in sub-zero temperatures.
He was then rescued by firefighters using a short ladder.
The cause of the fire is understood to have been an overheating extension lead fitted to an oil-fired heater.
A middle-aged man, who would not give his name but said he was the occupant of the flat, was not prepared to speak about his ordeal other than to say it had left him “gutted”.
Owner of the five-flat block, Raymond Humphries, of RGH Property Services, said: “The flat, which was the annexe one on the top floor, has been completely destroyed by smoke and flames.
“There is also some water damage to one of the other flats caused by the fire hoses.
“Luckily, there was no one in any of the other flats at the time of the fire as they were all out for the night.
“As I understand it, the tenant heard the alarms going off and ran through the fire to escape by going through the roof window.
“Although there was an ambulance on the scene he didn’t require hospital treatment.”
He added: “I am glad no one was injured and the alarms were working properly.
“I think the damage to the flat will cost about £6,000 to repair.”
North Wales Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people making more use of extension leads in the run-up to Christmas to ensure they are fully uncoiled to prevent overheating.
For a free home fire safety check call 0800 169 1234, email firstname.lastname@example.org or go to www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk
See full story in the Leader