A MOTHER died in a house blaze in Mold yesterday afternoon.
The woman has been named locally as Wendy Tranter, 54.
Emergency services were called to a semi-detached house in Llys Derwen at about 3.15pm and Mrs Tranter was discovered in the upstairs front bedroom.
The woman was declared dead at the scene. Police are not treating the fire as suspicious and John Hughes, coroner for North East Wales, has been informed of the death.
In a statement, the fire service said it appeared the blaze had been smouldering for some time. Its cause is being investigated..
Shocked neighbours spoke of their sadness and said Mrs Tranter left behind two sons, including 19-year-old Mark Tranter, a student at Deeside College.
Neighbour Lorna Hunt said: “It’s really sad, especially at this time of year.
“I didn’t know her very well but I knew she had a dog and I would see her out and about. She kept herself to herself.”
Another neighbour, Paula Lloyd, said: “I could see all the police cars and blue lights flashing.
“Everyone is really shocked about it.”
Police officers and firefighters remained at the scene as night fell on the street.
Speaking from there, Gary Brandwick, senior operations manager for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Two firefighters went into the property wearing breathing apparatus.
“The house was heavily smoke-logged.
“Crews found the occupant who was declared dead at the scene.”
One fire engine from Mold and one from Deeside were sent to the address.
A statement from North Wales Police said: “At 3.27pm today (Thursday) police received a call reporting a fire at a house on Llys Derwen, Mold.
“The body of a woman was found inside the property.
“Police are not treating the fire as suspicious at this time and the coroner has been informed of the death.”
A Welsh Ambulance Service spokesman said: “We were called at 3.17pm and an ambulance and a duty officer attended the scene.
“A female patient was declared dead at the scene.
“We did not convey the body to hospital.”
See full story in the Leader