Call for Flintshire fireworks display to remain at leisure centre

Reporter:

Lois Hough

A POPULAR bonfire display should remain at its Deeside home says a county councillor.

The firework extravaganza at Deeside Leisure Centre cannot be held this year because of work to replace five-a-side football pitches.

The event, which has been an annual fixture for 42 years, attracts thousands of visitors and raises money for local charities.

Last month, Wepre Park in Connah’s Quay was being considered as an alternative spot.

But Connah’s Quay councillor Aaron Shotton believes the display should remain at the leisure centre in Queensferry.

He told the Leader: “There is work being done to the football pitches but all of that heavy machinery is contained within a compound.

“It is not in the way of visitors so I’m quite suspicious of the council when they give this as the reason for it being cancelled.

“If the whole site was littered with this equipment then fair enough, but that is not the case.”

Cllr Shotton said the leisure centre was the ideal location for a fireworks display and is urging council bosses to re-think their decision.

“It’s a safe, well-organised and is across the road from the fire station so it is perfect,” he added.

“The council said it was investigating alternatives but we have heard nothing and time is moving on.”

Cllr Shotton has requested a notice of motion to discuss the issue takes place at the next full council meeting on October 4.

Council chiefs said they regretted the decision and hoped the fire service would be able to find an alternative venue.

A spokesman for Flintshire Council said: “The site which normally hosts the fire service’s annual charity bonfire and fireworks display is currently under the control of contractors who are developing new facilities for Deeside Leisure Centre.

“The contractors are currently on schedule to hand over the new facilities to the council in mid-November.

“The council has liaised with the fire service throughout the planning phase of the event and is working with the fire service to secure an alternative venue for the display.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read