MORE contaminated needles have been found in Connah’s Quay.
A bloodied syringe was found on the children’s play area at Wepre Park by a shocked member of the public who had taken a child to enjoy the swings.
The resident, who wanted to remain nameless, is calling for park wardens to step up their safety patrols.
She the Leader: “I was on the play area when I spotted this needle just stabbed into the ground. Somebody was obviously so out of it that they didn’t care where they left it.
“I don’t know whether the wardens scour the ground on a daily basis but perhaps this is something that could be included into their duties.”
Connah’s Quay councillor Bernie Attridge is also calling for tighter patrols on the
He said: “If people are injecting in a kids play area then it is very frightening. It is disgraceful that drug users are putting children’s lives at risk by discarding used needles in public areas.
“We have got litter pickers at the park but I want them to be trained in the removal of syringes and checking the area on a daily basis.
“The consequences are unthinkable.”
Earlier this month, the Leader revealed that binmen found a dozen dirty needles in a public bin on High Street in the town.
Cllr Attridge had this message for careless drug users: “I’m asking you to use your common sense,” he said. “If you really must inject then please use the sharps boxes that are provided free of charge by Flintshire Council.”
Tom Woodall, countryside services manager at Flintshire Council, said: “Earlier today a member of the public reported finding a needle in the park over the weekend.
“A thorough search was carried out soon after the report was received but nothing was found.
“Countryside officers regularly inspect the play area and the rest of the park for such materials and are trained in how to deal with them safely.
“The visitor centre is open seven days a week and if a countryside officer is not available people can report such finds to environmental services on 01352 703350 or out of hours on 01352 762898.”