THE owner of the historic Mines Rescue Station in Wrexham – which was partly demolished just days after it received listed status – is adamant he has done nothing wrong.
Last month the Leader reported council officials, backed by police officers ,were called to stop bulldozing at the Maesgwyn Road site.
As a result the local authority is looking at the possibility of bringing legal action through the courts.
However businessman Neville Dickens, the site’s owner, says he has nothing to apologise for and was acting within his rights.
“I have had planning permission to knock the centre down to build eight apartments on the land.
“What I have done is totally justified. As far as I am concerned I have followed the law.”
But Brynyffynnon ward councillor Phil Wynn said people throughout the town had been outraged at the attempt to flatten the building after it had been listed by heritage organisation Cadw.
It had previously been used for generations in mining rescue operations.
Cllr Wynn said: “My understanding is demolition work took place days after the centre gained official listed status. I believe that even as we speak Wrexham Council is considering whether to bring a case to court.
“Residents in the area and throughout the community have been deeply angered by the attempt to demolish the property.
“It is still standing but I think it has been very badly damaged.”
A spokesman for Wrexham Council confirmed it is investigating the matter and looking into the possibility of going to law.
The demolition work came in two stages a few days apart during August. At the time Wrexham Council issued a statement which said: “The contractors who started the demolition work on Wednesday were advised they did not have the necessary demolition consent under the Building Act and in receiving this advice removed their demolition equipment from the site.
“It is therefore surprising and regrettable that they returned to demolish the building.”
See full story in the Leader