Wrexham Council waiting for go-ahead to start bridge repair

Reporter:

Staff reporter

WORK is still yet to begin on a bridge which was closed in January when cracks began to appear in the structure.

Wrexham Council confirmed at the beginning of the year that Pontfaen Bridge in Chirk would be closed to vehicles and pedestrians in the interests of public safety.

It was initially predicted that repair work would be finished by February 1, but that estimate was then revised.

The bridge, over the River Ceiriog, lies on the border between Wales and England.

Earlier in the year the council said maintenance options had to be considered in conjunction with Shropshire Council, CADW and English Heritage, as the bridge is listed.

Now Martin Wright, Wrexham Council’s chief transportation and asset management officer, has confirmed that the authority is still in the process of seeking bids from companies to do the work.

He said: “Planning permission has been granted by both Wrexham and Shropshire Council for works to take place on Pontfaen Bridge.

“The authority is currently in the procurement process for the tendering of the works, which we hope will begin soon.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read