AN INQUEST has found a pensioner did not die from an antibiotic overdose, despite the fears of her family.
Margaret Annie Doleman, 90, of High Street, Bagillt, died of a heart attack, with complications arising from blood clots, at Glan Clwyd hospital on February 1.
Her family claimed a course of antibiotics she was given by staff at the hospital contributed to her death, saying she was too dehydrated to be given the drugs and they were administered too quickly.
However, after hearing evidence from consultant pathologist Dr Jacqueline Elder, from the Countess of Chester Hospital, coroner John Hughes concluded she died from natural causes.
Talking about the family’s concerns at the Flint inquest he said: “These are matters that are very important but not connected to her death.
“I have no evidence to suggest this is anything other than a natural cause of death. The drug administration played no part in Mrs Doleman’s death. I have a clear cause of death.”
Speaking during the inquest Mrs Doleman’s granddaughter, Lisa Marie Meyers of Holywell, herself a nurse, said she felt her grandmother had been neglected.
She said: “She died an undignified death. When we arrived she was slumped in a chair. I do not think they knew how ill she was. That the drug was administered too quickly is one issue.”
During her evidence Dr Elder said: “They may not have given it in the optimum way, but in this case it did not cause her death.”
On admission to hospital from her care home, Mrs Doleman had been dehydrated and had not been eating.
Helen Wynn Thomas, a staff nurse at Glan Clwyd said: “During the night shift staff regularly inspect the bays. Mrs Doleman had been stable throughout the night. At 6.30am there was a deterioration.”
In summing up the case Mr Hughes addressed the family and said: “The measure of your concern is a mirror of the love you have for Mrs Dolan and that does you credit.”
See full story in the Leader