Wrexham youth’s mob threat after town centre incident

Reporter:

Claire Gallagher

A TEENAGER led a ‘mob’ which followed a man to his home and threatened him.

The 17-year-old from Johnstown was in Coedpoeth on June 23 when he became abusive to a 21-year-old man in the area.

Wrexham Youth Court was told both had been involved in a dispute the previous day in Wrexham town centre.

Alun Humphreys, prosecuting, said the defendant was abusive and made threats to his victim as he walked to his home in Coedpoeth.

The victim phoned his mother to tell her about the situation and his father phoned the police, Mr Humphreys said.

During police interview the 17-year-old admitted he had rallied friends to threaten the man.

Mr Humphreys said: “Mob-handed he went back on the street and followed him back to the address."

The court was told that outside the victim’s house a fight broke out between the defendant, the victim and the victim’s mother.

Mr Humphreys said: “His parting shot was ‘I’ll come back for your son’ before the police arrived.”

The youth admitted using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour.

Euros Jones, defending, said his client wanted to join the army if possible.

Magistrates’ chairman Paul Galloway said: “This was a nasty event in any circumstances.”

The youth told the chairman he had become “more respectful towards people” because of an army training course.

Mr Galloway ordered an extension to a current referral order from six months to nine months. He also ordered him to pay £65 court costs but made no order for compensation.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read