Work finished on new £1m Flintshire cemetery

Reporter:

Staff reporter

WORK on a new cemetery has been completed.

Connah’s Quay’s £950,000 cemetery will be officially opened on June 21 and will be the first run by Flintshire Council to include a walled garden of remembrance.

The site on Kelsterton Lane is one of 15 council-owned cemeteries in the county and is expected to serve the area for the next 60 to 80 years.

Cllr Helen Yale, executive member for housing, said: “The new cemetery is great news for the locality. The lack of burial space is becoming more and more of a national problem because of the need for land.

“Here in Connah’s Quay, our existing cemetery at Bryn Road is down to the last few available plots so we had an urgent need locally.”

On the three walls around the garden of remembrance, people will be able to purchase memorial marble plaques with simple inscriptions on them and it is hoped a visitor centre and a sexton’s hut will be built in the cemetery grounds.

Richard Blake, the council’s senior cemeteries officer, said: “Everyone involved is very proud of the new development and we’ve spent the last year working tirelessly with designers Cemetery Development Services and contractors Wrenco to create this beautiful space to serve the area surrounding Connah’s Quay.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read