Thousands sign ‘Justice for Robbie’ petition

Reporter:

Phil Robinson

A FAMILY'S battle to change the law after their nine-year-old son was killed in a hit-and-run incident has drawn support from thousands of people.

Hopes are high that the campaign, inspired by the death of Robbie Gaunt, in Overton, will bring real results when it is considered by Downing Street.

David James Lunn, 61, of Moorland Avenue, Queen's Park, Wrexham, driver of the car which hit Robert, was jailed for 22 months and banned from driving for four years after he admitted perverting the course of justice.

He also admitted two charges of causing death while he had no licence or insurance.

Claiming they had been “let down” by the justice system, Robbie’s family began a campaign for a change to ensure courts are able to hand down sentences they believe would be more appropriate to such crimes.

Last July they started their Justice for Robert petition, which they intend to hand to the Prime Minister.

More than 1,300 names have since been added online on the 10 Downing Street website, with 2,000 more collected on paper.

But Tara Green, partner of Robbie’s father Robert Jones, said: “I think we have done well to get so many names online.

“But I believe we could have got many more if the petition had been allowed the full 12 months, which means until July 30.

“As it was it was closed on June 6, which is very unfair.

“Ours is not the only petition to be stopped early.

“Just because there has been a change of government doesn’t mean people who started them feel any different about the issues involved.”

She added: “But we’re not leaving it there – we are not giving up.

“We are not the only ones campaigning for a change in the law over road deaths and the government can’t ignore us.

“They are going to have to address this issue.

“We are going on with our battle because we wouldn’t like to see anyone else go through what we had to after Robbie was killed.

“Our intention is to make it easier for other families who find themselves in our position.”

A spokesman for the Prime Minister said: “With a new government in place a review is taking place of online services, including e-petitions.

“We are committed to improving the e-petitions process and are looking at ways of ensuring it functions as part of a cohesive approach to public debate and transparent government.

“A full announcement on how we plan to use these and other services across government will be made as soon as this important work is completed. Existing e-petitions, submitted to the previous administration, will not be carried forward to the new administration as part of this process."

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read