A MUM who had been keeping her children at home because of a rat infestation at their school will be sending them back today.
Delanie Jones says she is now “completely reassured” that all traces of the rodents have been removed from St Mary’s Primary in Brymbo.
She was one of a number of worried parents who insisted on the boycott of lessons after rats were discovered in the century-old building around three weeks ago.
At the peak of the parents’ protest around 30 children were kept at home, despite assurances from Wrexham Council and the headteacher that thorough cleaning had removed any health hazard.
The number of children involved fell gradually over the week.
And on Friday afternoon Mrs Jones, who had been keeping her son Tyler and daughter Kiah off school, said: “I have now spoken to someone from environmental health and they have put my mind at rest about the rats.
“I am now confident enough to send my children back to school on Monday.
“I have also had a letter from the headteacher to put what I wanted to hear in writing.
“I believe a number of other parents who had been keeping their children off are also of the same opinion.”
Evidence of rats was found in two classrooms and in toilets at the school.
John Davies, Wrexham Council’s chief learning and achievement officer, said: “The problem has been dealt with by professional agencies and is now resolved.
“The health and safety of children and staff has been the top priority throughout.”
See full story in the Leader