Man escapes Flintshire bedroom blaze

Reporter:

Hayley Collins

NEIGHBOURS say a man is lucky to be alive after a fire broke out in his bedroom.

The man, named locally as Ryan Till, managed to escape from the bungalow in Deva Avenue, Holywell, after fire ripped through the property shortly after 4am on Monday (April 12).

Neighbours said Mr Till, who is believed to be in his early 20s, had been lucky to escape.

One neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, said: “It just went boom and went up.

“We had three fire engines and an ambulance.

“The fire was in his bedroom. He must have woken up and managed to get himself out. He was OK, but he had to be given oxygen.”

Three fire engines from Flint, Deeside and Mold were dispatched to the scene to tackle the blaze.

Fire investigators say the fire broke out when a duvet was accidentally placed on top of a candle.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said 70 per cent fire damage was caused to the bedroom and 30 per cent damage was caused to the rest of the property.

The house was left uninhabitable and has now been boarded up.

Neighbour and friend Brendan Daly said yesterday: “No one has heard from Ryan yet. We are all trying to find out how he is.

“It woke everyone in the street up. I saw the fire engines and the smoke coming from his house.”

A spokesman for the Welsh Ambulance Service said Mr Till was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but did not require hospital treatment.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read