Wrexham man died after insect sting

Reporter:

Matt Sims

A MAN died after he suffered an allergic reaction to an insect sting while on his family’s farm.

Wrexham-born Julian Clive Dimelow suffered a massive anaphylactic shock after being stung by either a wasp or a bee, an inquest heard.

An inquest in Wrexham heard Mr Dimelow’s heart stopped for 40 minutes before he was revived by medics and during that period he received severe brain injuries.

Mr Dimelow, 40, was rushed first to the Countess of Chester Hospital but then had to be transferred to Wrexham Maelor Hospital because no intense therapy unit beds were available in Chester.

He remained in a coma for nearly a month before he died on August 15.

Written evidence from Mr Dimelow’s sister, Lorna, revealed her brother had received insect stings “frequently” before, but had never suffered any sort of reaction.

He had previously suffered with allergy-related asthma and had breathing difficulties when exposed to pollen, dust and humid conditions, but that was the extent of his allergies.

Mr Dimelow, at the time living in Coventry with his Uzbekistani wife Nodira whom he met while on a business trip to the country, had returned home to Malpas on the weekend of the incident.

He went into the garden of the 100-acre Mount View dairy farm, where his mother Suzanne and sister Lorna lived, on the afternoon of July 19.

He returned indoors soon after complaining he had been stung on his temple by either a wasp or bee.

Mr Dimelow was given an antihistamine and seemed to improve, but then complained of feeling light-headed and sat down. His face and neck then began to swell up and he fell unconscious.

Mr Dimelow, who worked for agricultural firm AGCO, formerly Massey Ferguson, died without recovering consciousness on August 15.

A post-mortem examination by Home Office pathologist Dr Brian Rodgers concluded he had been rendered brain dead as a result of the cardiac arrest, which in turn had been caused by the anaphylactic shock.

Toxicology tests did not reveal excessive levels of phenobarbital or paracetamol.

North East Wales coroner John Hughes, recording a verdict of death by natural causes, said: “The condition suffered is well recognised as being an extremely rare one.”

Mr Hughes said every reaction to a sting would have been ‘idiosyncratic’.

“The ambulance was summoned and arrived very quickly but during the time he was being treated there was a period of 40 minutes where there was no cardiac output.

“Given that gap, the outcome was inevitable. There is no way someone could recover after 40 minutes without cardiac output.”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read