Wrexham engulfed by smoke after scrapyard blaze

Reporter:

Hayley Collins

CLOUDS of smoke engulfed parts of Wrexham yesterday after a fire broke out at a scrapyard.

Fire crews were called to tackle the blaze at Hafod Yard, Hafod Road, Ruabon, shortly before 4.30pm after a gas canister exploded.

Arthur Griffiths, who works at the scrapyard, said the fire broke out when a piece of plant machinery was accidently driven into a gas bottle causing it to explode.

He told the Leader: “The smoke was terrible it was going right across to the bypass.

"We had people phoning up from the top of Penycae wondering what was going on.

“Fortunately there was no damage, it was just a bit of scrap that caught fire and all the caravans are okay.”

Four North Wales Fire and Rescue appliances were sent to the scene as well as the environmental protection unit carrying water.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said about 10 tonnes of scrap were ablaze and firefighters were at the scene for four hours.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read