Flintshire blaze started by unattended candle

Reporter:

Staff reporter

FIREFIGHTERS from Deeside tackled a blaze in a flat caused by a candle left unattended on a fridge/freezer.

It caused heat damage to the appliance, severe smoke damage to the remainder of the kitchen and light smoke damage to the rest of the property on Connah’s Quay High Street.

A 27-year-old man suffered slight smoke inhalation and had a precautionary check by the ambulance at the scene.

Firefighters were called to the property at 4.50am on Friday.

Later, Justin Evans from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “Candles left unattended are extremely dangerous. The small flame from a candle can cause a significant fire, which can spread quickly.

“There were no smoke alarms in this property and the occupiers have been extremely lucky that they went back to check on the candles. I am urging anyone who use candles to please take safety precautions.

“North Wales Fire and Rescue Service fits smoke alarms free as part of our free home fire safety checks. To register people can call our free 24-hour hotline on 0800 169 1234 or visit www.nwales-fireservice.org.uk”

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read