Lucky escape for Wrexham pensioner after fire at home

Reporter:

Staff reporter

A PENSIONER from Wrexham had a lucky escape after a wheat-filled warming bag burned through her bed.

Firefighters were called to the elderly woman’s home on in Hazel Grove, Wrexham, just after 2am on New Year’s Day.

The wheat grain bag had burned through her mattress and she was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters are warning people of the dangers of using the bags, which can be heated up in a microwave and used as a hot water bottle subsitute.

Station manager for county office John Berry said in this case the bag had overcooked and the pensioner had a lucky escape.

He added: “This had the potential for really nasty consequences. “The incident was totally accidental but we ask people to use their wheat grain bags in the correct way.”

A FIRE crew was called to the B&Q roundabout off the A483 near Wrexham town centre at just before 1.45pm on New Year’s Eve to deal with a report of a car on fire.

The blaze was out before they arrived and no-one was injured.

See full story in the Leader

Leave your comment

Share your opinions on

Characters left: 1500

Most Read