A man has been arrested after protesting against fox hunting as Theresa May arrived at a campaign event in Wrexham.

When the Prime Minister drove up to the community centre, he played a hunting bugle and shouted "save our wildlife, kill May".

As the protester, who said his name was Connor, continued to demonstrate police grabbed him.

Connor continued to shout as officers carried him away to nearby police vans.

A man is arrested after protesting against fox hunting as Theresa May arrives at the Welsh Conservative manifesto launch at Gresford Memorial Hall, Gresford, Picture: Stefan Rousseau/PA 

"This is the fascist state that we are living in under Theresa May's regime," he yelled.

He said he was protesting about the repeal of the foxhunting Act, fracking, austerity, "the lot".

"I've not done nothing wrong," he added.

Another demonstrator told police that Connor, who appeared to have a Merseyside accent, had "done nothing wrong" and described their response as a "farce".

Asked if he was under arrest, an officer said: "Yes, he's under arrest."

Pressed on what charge, he replied: "Breach of the peace."

As the Prime Minister was driven away, a group of demonstrators waved Unite union placards and yelled "Tories out".

A pensioner, who had heard the PM was in town while she was out shopping, said the local shop had been told not to sell eggs or flour ahead of the visit in case they were used by protesters.

North Wales Police confirmed that a 25-year-old local man was arrested for breach of the peace in Gresford.

Supt Nick Evans, who led the policing response, said “A mixture of on-lookers and protesters had gathered outside the location and in the vicinity of the venue.

"In the main they were well behaved. However one particular person, despite a number of warnings, was arrested to prevent a breach of the peace.

“The man was arrested due to his behaviour and conveyed to a local police station.  He has since been released without charge.”

He added: “Our policing operation today was proportionate and necessary.

"We have a responsibility to allow peaceful protest and to maintain public order to ensure public safety and uphold the law.    

"I’m glad to report this was respected by the overwhelming majority of those gathered today and the PM’s actual visit and departure passed without further incident.  

"I’m grateful for the cooperation and help from the local community and residents this morning and I’m now able to say the area has returned to normality.”