ANOTHER devastated family has come forward after their cat was put down following suspected anti-freeze poisoning.

Alexia Carrington, of Prince of Wales Avenue, Flint, lost 10-year-old Sputnick two weeks ago.

She now fears for the safety of the family’s other tabby Quincy, nine.

The mum of two said: “Sputnick was my son Alistair’s cat. We got him when Alistair was born. They grew up together.

“He slept on his bed and they went everywhere together.

“Sputnick was part of the family. He was a real character. Alistair and his sister, Seren are devastated.”

Three other families have already contacted the Leader saying their pets have been lost to deliberate poisoning.

Alexia said: “It is worrying because I can’t keep Quincy inside, even though I have tried.

“Something needs to be done. Sputnick has been with us for the last ten years. It is just terrible, these people need to be dealt with.

“My cats do not go in other people’s gardens, they do not wander that far. It seems to be happening a lot.

“It has a huge impact to lose a family pet in that way.

“There are other ways to stop cats going in your garden, like putting pepper down.”

RSPCA scientific officer Dr Kerry Westwood said: “If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you must take it to a vet immediately.

“If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk or the container so the vet can work out the best way to treat your pet.

“The sooner your cat receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.

“Poisoning a cat deliberately is a criminal offence.

“Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, the maximum penalty for those found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of up to £20,000.”