SAUNDERS has gone, Morrell has stepped up and the future of the club remains uncertain.

That is a simple summary of events at The Racecourse, which Dean Saunders has left after almost three years as Wrexham FC manager.

Saunders joined Championship side Doncaster Rovers in time for their match against Crystal Palace on Saturday.

Soon after that announcement, Reds striker Andy Morrell was put in charge of first team affairs ahead of his team’s trip to Grimsby.

More on that appointment and match can be found elsewhere in today’s Leader.

Meanwhile, fans are adjusting to life after the departure of the manager who had guided the Reds to second in the Conference Premier.

Saunders oversaw a seven-match unbeaten run before the team suffered two consecutive defeats and a draw.

A statement on the Reds website thanked him “for all his hard work and professionalism throughout his three years with the club”.

At the time of his move to Doncaster, full details of which have yet to be confirmed, Rovers had not won a league game since March.

A statement on the club’s website said: “It is with regret that the shareholders of Doncaster Rovers FC have taken the decision based on the long run of poor results, that Sean O'Driscoll and Richard O'Kelly have been relinquished of their duties.

“They felt that action needed to be taken to address the current position.”

Richard Owen, chairman of Wrexham Supporters Trust, said the trust had not been consulted on Saunders’ departure.

He said: “We met with Dean two weeks ago to reassure him of his future and we would adhere to the budget he had agreed with the owners.

“Not many managers from the Conference get the opportunity to manage at the Championship and we would like to wish Dean all the best for the future.”

The Yma O Hyd fundraising group, set up by supporters to make more money available to Saunders, will continue.

Chairman Jamie Davies said:“I wish Dean all the very best. He has worked wonders, particularly when you consider recent issues like players’ wages not being paid and the club coming close to going out of existence.”