A WOMAN who turned up drunk at a Deeside primary school ended up assaulting the deputy headmistress and causing damage.

Amanda Perez had turned up at the school to pick up a child  but concerned staff would not allow her to do so because of her drunken condition.

Perez, 43, was taken inside at Bryn Deva Primary School in Linden Avenue, Connah’s Quay, away from other people.

But in a office she hurled a large stapler at deputy head Helen Evans which narrowly missed her right arm.

Staff left but she then went on to cause £1,000 worth of damage to a mug, a CCTV system and a laptop.

Police were called but before officers arrived, she had fallen asleep on a settee close to the main entrance.

At Flintshire Magistrates Court at Mold yesterday, Perez, now of Springfield Road, Malpas, Cheshire, admitted assault and criminal damage on July 5. She was bailed pending a pre-sentence report.

Matthew Ellis, prosecuting, said Perez was asked inside and was told staff did not believe she was in a fit state to care for a child.

The deputy head liaised with staff and social services, was advised to call the police and Perez became aggressive. She picked up a large stapler and threw it at the deputy head, narrowly missing her. That constituted the assault.

Staff left the officer door ajar and Perez pulled items off the desk tops including a mug, a CCTV monitor and a laptop.

She had blood on both her arms but she then got tired and slept on a sofa near the main school entrance.

Police arrived, she was incoherent, but officers realised she had taken 20 tablets and some wine and she was taken to hospital.

Interviewed later, she told how she was a recovering alcoholic and was on medication for that and for depression.

Things had been getting on top of her and the previous day she had taken tablets and then on the afternoon of the incident drank a half bottle of wine. She did not recall throwing the item at the deputy head or causing the damage.

Brian Cross, defending, said Perez had mental health issues. She had been hospitalised at one stage but had spent a considerable period out in the community.

She had been referred to various agencies for help and suffered from severe depression.

There had been no intention whatsoever to commit the offences. But in view of her self-induced alcoholic state and the taking of the tablets, she had pleaded guilty on the basis that she accepted that she had done what was alleged.

“Everything got on top of her. She felt that she was heading for a break-down,” Mr Cross said.

Magistrates bailed her not to enter the school in the meantime.