A MAN was lured to a house in Wrexham and then hit across the head with a metal bar, fracturing his skull, a court heard.

Carl Nathan Edwards, 26, is alleged to have sent text messages from his girlfriend’s phone to David Jones.

Mr Jones was surprised to receive the text message talking about a kiss he and a woman had previously exchanged and inviting him round for sex.

He got a taxi to the house, there was no reply at her home, but he was then confronted by Edwards who attacked him and struck him across the head with the bar, it is alleged by the prosecution.

Mr Jones was knocked out, did not remember anything until he later woke up in a police car and needed emergency surgery at hospital.

Edwards of Vale View in Llay, denies a charge of inflicting grevious bodily harm with intent in May of last year.

Prosecutor John Oates said the complainant had been out drinking with friends and watching football on television. He received a text message from a woman he had kissed on one occasion in the past.

Mr Oates said the texts made it perfectly clear why she wanted to see him – but it was the prosecution case that Edwards had been responsible.

Mr Jones tried to get away and dived between his legs at one stage but was attacked and knocked unconscious.

Interviewed, Edwards denied the allegations. He said that he went to his girlfriend’s home, found Mr Jones at the door, told him to leave but claimed he came under attack and defended himself.

Defending barrister David Potter suggested that his client and the complainant scuffled and that Mr Jones must have hit his head on the gatepost, the gate or a wall.

Mr Oates said that it was the prosecution case that the day after the incident the defendant had gone to the home of a friend and spoke about what had happened.

That friend’s girlfriend had been present and Edwards had told how he had done something bad,

He had checked his girlfriend’s phone and sent text messages to the complainant pretending to be his girlfriend.