FIVE men beat, kicked and smashed a bottle over the head of a man as he left a pub with his wife, a court heard.

Between them they told police they had drunk at least 57 pints of lager, 20 pernods, 22 “alcoholic drinks”, unknown quantities of other spirits and a shot of sambuca.

Judge Niclas Parry told Mold Crown Court: “This is the kind of alcohol fuelled loutish violence which causes decent people to be afraid to go out at night.”

Ryan Kidd, 19, and Anthony Kidd, 24, both of Meadowbank, Holywell; Daffydd Vaughan, 23, of Ruthin Road, Gwernymynydd, Mold; Liam Ellis, 18, of Strand Park, Holywell; and a 17-year-old from Holywell who cannot be named, all pleaded guilty to affray on January 23.

Prosecutor Elisabeth Bell said Darren Rush and wife Siobhan, had been drinking in various Holywell pubs and Mr Rush admitted he was drunk.

During the evening his brother-in-law had pointed out Kyle Davies who, he claimed, had been aggressive towards Siobhan on an earlier night out.

“Kyle Davies had been with a group of males, one of whom approached Mr Rush in the pub and asked if he had a problem. Mr Rush told him to clear off, which he had,” said Ms Bell.

But as Mr and Mrs Rush left the Victoria pub in Holywell High Street a group of males surrounded them.

“Mrs Rush said she heard bottles being smashed and the next thing she knew her hair was pulled and her head went down so she didn’t see anyone. She ended up on the floor.”

Mr Rush received hospital treatment for a 2.5cm cut to the bridge of the nose and 1.5cm cut to the head.

Interviewed Ryan Kidd said he drank 12 pints of lager and some spirits; Anthony Kidd 20 pints and 20 pernods; the 17-year-old 15 pints of lager and shot of
sambuca; Ellis about 22 “alcoholic drinks” and Vaughan six to eight pints of lager.

Andrew Green, defending, said Ellis was a student on a building course at Deeside College who involved himself in charity work. He had no connection with the group but was so drunk he saw people he recognised and joined in. “He describes it as the biggest mistake of his life,” said Mr Green.

Kim Halsall said Vaughan came from a supportive family but his mood that night could be explained by the fact his mother and a best friend had died relatively recently. He had also lost his job and broken up with his girlfriend.

John Hedgecoe said Anthony Kidd had a good employment record and on the morning of his court appearance his girlfriend had given birth in the ambulance on the way to hospital. He was immediately remorseful for the attack on Mr Rush.

The 17-year-old, said Gareth Roberts, was thoroughly ashamed and disgusted at punching Mr Rush.

Judge Parry said the five were “disgracefully drunk” and had launched a group attack which involved fists, feet and a bottle, and injuries could have been far more serious. He accepted they were truly remorseful.

He sentenced Vaughan, Ellis and Anthony Kidd to 36 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months and ordered each to complete 300 hours unpaid work. Vaughan and Kidd were also ordered to pay £300 costs and Ellis £100.

The 17-year-old was given a youth rehabilitation order and ordered to do 80 hours unpaid work.

Ryan Kidd will be sentenced today on completion of a pre-sentence report.