A HEARTFELT tribute has been paid to an eight-year-old Wrexham boy who died of a suspected asthma attack during a birthday party.

The tragedy took place during a children’s laser game party at Quasar in Chester.

John Hughes, headteacher of Victoria Junior School in Poyser Street, Wrexham, confirmed that the boy who died was a pupil there.

Although he revealed that his name was Adam, Mr Hughes said he could not disclose the boy's surname.

Paying tribute to him, he said: “Adam was just a delightful and sparky little boy who was very well thought of by everyone here.

“We were all shocked by his sudden death and our thoughts are with his family at this time.

“I informed everyone in his year group of his death on Monday morning, which was our first day back at school after the half term holiday.

“I went into their class and spoke to them after taking advice from bereavement counsellors at Nightingale House Hospice.”

Adam had collapsed after suffering breathing difficulties during the children’s activity at the venue in Volunteer Street, just after 11.15am on Sunday.

North West Ambulance Service spokesman Fiona Bateson said paramedics arrived at the scene within a couple of minutes after the call was made.

She said: “It was suspected that the boy, who was at a birthday party, had suffered an asthma attack.” Attempts were made to resuscitate the boy but he was later pronounced dead at the Countess of Chester Hospital, on Liverpool Road, Chester.

Cheshire Police spokesman Shelley Williams added: “At 1.16pm on Sunday, June 5, Cheshire Police were informed of the death of an eight-year-old boy following a party at the Chester Quasar.

“Initial enquiries suggest that the boy, from the Wrexham area, was taken to hospital following breathing difficulties. Cheshire Police are currently investigating the circumstances of the incident.”

Chester Quasar is a laser-game activities centre which caters for children and adults age six and up.

Chester city ward councillor Samantha Dixon said: “It’s very sad news and I send my condolences to the family at this distressing time. I shall be closely following the investigation.”