RESIDENTS had to be evacuated from their homes after a fire broke out in a block of flats.

Fire crews were called to the blaze in the first-floor flat on Tryweryn Place in Caia Park just after 9.30pm on Sunday.

Neighbours were evacuated from their homes while firefighters battled to bring the blaze under control.

Residents said the flat was home to 19-year-old Paige Williams, but she is not believed to have been at the property when the fire broke out.

North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said no one was injured or rescued from the building.

Two fire engines and an aerial ladder platform were called to the scene, with two further engines being sent from Chirk. Neighbours first knew of the fire when they heard several loud bangs.

Dawn Knapper, who lives on nearby Erlas Grove, said: “I was shocked when I saw the fire.

“I heard a couple of bangs which sounded like fireworks and then one big bang. My boyfriend went outside and asked people to move their cars as we knew the fire engines would be here soon and would need to get down the road. We were still awake at about 5am.”

Clinton Rogers, who lives in Tryweryn Place, was evacuated from his home yesterday morning.

“I went to stay at my mum’s once I was evacuated,” he said. “There’s been no damage to my flat.”

Fire crews stayed at the scene until about 5am and returned yesterday to carry out an investigation into the blaze and were in the area yesterday to offer fire safety advice to residents.

Crew manager Nigel Roberts from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “We are knocking on doors and offering free checks and smoke alarms.”