FIREFIGHTERS were called to a house blaze in Gronant yesterday.

Crews from Rhyl and Prestatyn attended at Ffordd Marian, Gronant, at around 2.15am where a fire in the kitchen had taken hold.

Residents managed to escape from the property before the crews arrived and one casualty had a precautionary check-up at the scene but did not require hospital treatment.

Justin Evans, from the North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said the blaze was caused by cooking left unattended.

He said: “These people have been very lucky this morning that the woman in the property heard the smoke alarm bleeping and they all managed to escape to safety.

“The fire appears to have started when the cooker was left on accidentally – it is very important to check over cooking appliances to ensure that everything has been switched off correctly after use and remember to never leave cooking unattended for any length of time.

“This incident yet again highlights the importance of having working alarms installed in your property.

“They must be maintained regularly by testing the battery once a week and changing it according to the manufacture’s instructions. You should never disconnect them or remove the battery.”

There was 30 per cent fire damage to the kitchen and 70 per cent smoke and heat damage to the downstairs of the home.

Call 0800 169 1234 or email for a free home fire safety check.