TRIBUTES have been paid to a father-of-two who died after falling while climbing.

Adrian Bridge, 65, was pronounced dead at Pot Hole Quarry, near Mold, on Friday evening.

Yesterday his family paid tribute to a “wonderful man” who “had a good sense of humour and was a good family man”.

Mr Bridge’s wife Felicity, from Gwernymynydd, said her husband had a passion for climbing and loved outdoor activities.

She said: “He loved family life and the outdoor life, camping and walking.

“He was very loved and respected.”

Mr Bridge, originally from Surrey, worked at Nice Pak in Flint where he was a technical manager until recently.

He took semi-retirement and stood down from the managerial level.

“He had a really big international circle of colleagues,” said Mrs Bridge, 64.

Mr Bridge also leaves children, Ian, 36 and Joanne, 34, and two grandchildren.

“He got a lot of joy in recent years from his grandchildren, grandnephews and grandniece,” said Mrs Bridge, a former teacher at Mold Alun School.

His sister, Barbara Gilliam, said: “He was a wonderful man, generous, a friend to everyone.

“He was a keen walker, mountaineer and climber. He went on mountaineering holidays to California and Nepal.”

Son Ian said: “He liked adventure and loved a challenge.”

Mrs Bridge met her husband at Swansea University where he studied chemical engineering.

He was a member of the caving club there and helped rescue children in the Aberfan disaster, a catastrophic collapse of a colliery waste tip onto a Welsh school in 1966 which killed 116 children and 28 adults.

After leaving university he worked for ICI, Johnson and Johnson and Celatose before joining Nice Pak.

Mr Bridge took part in the London Marathon twice to raise money for Hope House Hospices and Children with Leukaemia.

Details of the funeral are yet to be finalised but his family said any friends and family are welcome and can contact them for more information.

A spokesman for North Wales Ambulance Service said they were called out at 6.30 pm on Friday where a man was declared dead at the scene.

A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said firefighters were called out at about 6.45pm and helped ambulance crews.