POLICE are probing a new spate of car fires in Wrexham.

In the latest attacks, six vehicles were set alight within five days, including four in just 24 hours.

Officers are looking at the possibility of a link between the six new cases and an earlier spate of attacks which left 15 cars burnt out in the space of two months.

The most recent attacks include one in Railway Road, Brymbo, at 5.07am on Thursday and one at 3.57am on Saturday in Corkscrew Lane, Pentrebychan.

The next call came at 11.45pm on Monday where two cars parked on the private drive of a property in Owens Street, Rhos, were on fire.

Firefighters were also called at 1.01am on Monday to Moreton Street, Johnstown, where crews tackled a fire which initially only affected one car but then spread to a second.

Paul Whybro, of North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said: “This type of criminal activity causes a big drain on our resources.

“When crews are called to attend life-threatening incidents such as house fires and road traffic collisions, appliances are not diverted from a deliberate fire, they are the next available fire appliance.

“This may involve a time delay which could prove fatal.

“Arson is a serious crime and in conjunction with North Wales Police we will
pursue convictions.”

A spokesman for North Wales Police said: “Officers are looking at the possibility of a link between the latest incidents and earlier incidents.”

Sgt Andy Piggott, of the North Wales arson reduction team, said: “I am appealing to the community in general to help us stamp out this mindless criminal activity by identifying the culprits and reporting it to the police.

“Cars are a very popular target for deliberate fire setters, especially over night-time periods.

“I would also ask residents to keep an eye on their own vehicles as well as watching out for any suspicious behaviour around other vehicles in the area.

“Very often the cars are parked near residential properties and there is a danger the fires could spread causing damage to the house and serious injury to the occupants.”

Following the earlier arson attacks police mounted a special operation to apprehend the arsonists, including high visibility patrols.

Clwyd South MP Susan Elan Jones also demanded urgent action from North Wales chief constable Mark Polin.

One terrified resident complained that the attacks had turned the area into a “war zone”, comparable to Beirut, Afghanistan and Libya.