A FLINTSHIRE man who wielded a machete on a rooftop while hacking away bricks which he threw at police, has been sent to crown court for sentence.

A court was told Luke Laidlaw, 19, kept police at bay for five hours causing traffic hold-ups on Deeside as officers tried to evacuate the immediate area to prevent anyone getting hurt by flying bricks.

At one stage he threw a brick at full force towards a female officer and shouted: “I’m going to put this through your head.”

Laidlaw, homeless, but previously from Connah’s Quay and Garden City, was remanded in custody to be sentenced at Mold Crown Court at the end of the month.

He appeared in custody before Flintshire Magistrates Court where he pleaded guilty to four counts of criminal damage, affray and possessing an offensive weapon.

Laidlaw also admitted three burglaries at homes in the Sealand area of Deeside between November and December last year.

Rob Blakemore, prosecuting, said Laidlaw had failed to answer his bail and a warrant had been issued for his arrest in February .

Police were looking out for him when on February 22 he climbed on to the roof of a hairdresser's premises in Station Road, Queensferry.

“He was waving this machete and damaging the chimney, throwing pieces of masonry down at police and the public and the traffic.

“Officers knew it was him and shouted up to him.

“He told them I’m going to put this through your head and then threw a brick at full force towards a policewoman.

“She feared for her safety and for the safety of the members of the public.”

Laidlaw was charged with three counts of causing criminal damage to roof tiles and chimney stacks at three premises in Station Road, Queensferry – Whittles Coffee Shop, Dominoes Pizza and Rowlands Pharmacy as well as criminal damage to a police car.

Police negotiators were sent to talk to Laidlaw who gave himself up after about five hours.

Gary Harvey, defending, did not apply for bail. He said Laidlaw accepted that the case would be dealt with at the crown court.